"Where did Orangeries originate from?"

Orangeries date back to seventeenth century Britain, when they were primarily used by wealthy landowners to house orange and other citrus trees in the winter to protect them from weathering elements.
The first orangeries though originated in Italy and featured as part of Renaissance Gardens. It is thought that orangeries began to be manufactured in the seventeenth century due to the development of glass-making technology which meant that glass could be produced in large sheets.

By the nineteenth century, glazed roofs were established in order to allow as much sunlight into the building as possible.

In addition, Orangeries were a symbol of wealth and having a grand glazed roof, ultimately, made a wealthy family appear even more noble and aristocratic.

The Features of Britain’s Seventeenth Century Orangeries
As a result of being a representation of wealth and class, the initial seventeenth century orangeries were grand, luxurious structures that were exclusive buildings for wealthy families. The outside would feature external stone and brickwork, while the interior would be decorative and plastered.

Surprisingly, seventeenth century orangeries actually featured a small amount of glass and were heated by a stove or fire. Unfortunately though, these fires and stoves often produced fumes that could kill plants which meant that orangeries were not particularly effective at fulfilling their purpose!

They did have south-facing windows though so that the maximum amount of sunlight could flood through and the walls facing north were thick, to protect against the cold.

Some Early Examples of Britain’s Famous Orangeries
The Orangery at Kensington Palace (1704)
Built for Queen Anne to protect her citrus trees from winter weather, the orangery at Kensington Palace was also used for fine-dining and afternoon tea.

The Orangery at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew (1761)
Designed by Sir William Chambers (a Scottish-Swedish architect), the orangery at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Kew was built of brick and stucco. Stucco is a type of cement plaster, made up of a binder and water.

The orangery at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew was, at that time, the largest glasshouse in England but had low levels of light.

The Orangery at Margam Park in Wales (built between 1787 and 1793)
Margam Orangery was designed by Thomas Mansel Talbot, who was the owner of Margam Estate. He designed the orangery with a length of 327 feet and 27 tall windows.

Ham House and Garden Orangery
Ham house is now owned by the National Trust and the Orangery is a café. It serves its purpose more nowadays than it did as an orangery back in the seventeenth century since, like many historic orangeries, was too cold to allow citrus trees to survive.

The orangery at Ham House apparently dates back to the 1670s. The style of the orangery is believed to reflect Dutch classical architecture, with cross bar style windows that feature diamond shaped panes.
Are you interested in having a hardwood orangery extension on your property? Call Country Hardwood on 01296714314.