"See some of the Famous Orangery Landmarks in the UK"
Orangeries have been regarded as special and fashionable architectural structures since they were designed in the 18th century.
Perhaps you’ve had an orangery extension to your home, or are looking to invest in an orangery or conservatory.
For inspiration (and a bit of fun!), let’s take a look at three of Britain’s famous orangeries.
The Orangery at Kensington Palace
The orangery at Kensington Palace was built in 1704 for Queen Anne who had the orangery built to protect her citrus trees from harsh winter weather, it was also used for fine-dining and afternoon tea.
Nowadays, the orangery at Kensington Palace is a restaurant and available to book for special occasions.
The Orangery at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Kew
The orangery at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Kew was built in 1761 and was designed by Sir William Chambers who was a Scottish-Swedish architect, based in London. It is built of brick and stucco. For those that are unsure, stucco is a type of cement plaster, made up of a binder and water. The orangery was, at that time, the largest glasshouse in England. It was designed and built in order to grow citrus fruits, however, the low levels of light made the orangery unsuitable for this purpose.
In 1841, the unhealthy orange trees were moved to the orangery at Kensington Palace and the orangery in Kew had large glazed doors installed at both ends, so that it had higher lighting levels and, as a result, became fitter for purpose.
That said, in 1862-3, the orangery became a timber museum for exhibiting British wood. In 1989, it became a tearoom, and has been a restaurant since 2002.
The Orangery at Margam Park in Wales
Margam Orangery prides itself on being one of the most prestigious buildings in South Wales.
Thomas Mansel Talbot owned Margam Estate. He designed the orangery with a length of 327 feet and 27 tall windows, so that it could house a large collection of citrus trees. The windows allowed in enough light for the trees to flourish during the winter. The orangery is built of stone from Talbot’s own quarry.
When Glamorgan County Council purchased the estate in 1793, the orangery was in ruins but has since been restored and opened by Queen Elizabeth II in the year of her silver jubilee.